Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Big Decision....

Another writing assignment from Greg - Was there a time when we went from aquaintances to friends?
When did you really decide on PCT and did you think that I would ask to go along?

No, immediately, and no.

I am pretty big on being blunt, so I'll have to say that I still view Greg as more of an acquaintance than a friend. . . Not because there is anything I dislike about him - quite the opposite, in fact. Just that there hasn't been anything...... I don't make friends easily, and there are only a few people in my life that I truly feel are friends - most of those relationships date back 10 years or more. No offense, Greg, we're just not there. I have a feeling that after 500 miles on the trail I will consider you either friend or foe! :)

As for the big decision, it was pretty fast and clear, like lightning had struck! It was just another day, I was brushing and saddling horses for another ride with Greg. He showed up this time with a book, The Trail North. I love to read, and was touched by his thoughtful gift. I started reading it as soon as I got home that evening.... and kept reading..... and kept reading into the late hours of the night. I woke early the next morning, it was 4 or maybe 4:30 and I couldn't sleep, so I sat at the kitchen table and finished the book. I was swept up in the adventure, the solitude, the peaks and valleys. I could taste the cool mornings and feel the grit of hot dust in my teeth. The book closed and my laptop switched on, I was reading now about more recent horseback trips. 3 hours of clicking and reading, searching, dreaming, absorbing. I logged onto facebook: April 14th, 6:59am:
"Well, Greg Hertel, now you've done it! I've been up since 4:30 reading articles, blogs, sites about people who rode the Pacific Crest Trail......... Dammit."

That was it, I knew I had to do it and the wheels were spinning determining when and how. Why? Never crossed my mind, unimportant, people waste too much time on why. If it moves you, do it. If you can't, step left and through - there is a way. I didn't expect Greg to go with me, that was a complete surprise - a welcome one, certainly, he is an invaluable resource for the planning, permits, researching trail conditions - and he is good trail company, this has already been established - and it's just plain smart to have another person along.

That's all for now, I must be off! The sun is shining and I've got miles to ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment