Sunday, August 26, 2012

Actualization!

Wow, holy wow! It's been 3 months since my last blog post, and what a 3 months it's been! I am moved to tears, there is a welcome pressure in my chest that the time is near, all the time, sweat, anticipation, trepidation....... I am leaving in three weeks for the "test and tune-up ride". I smile and tell everyone it's the "small ride" that the "big ride" is next year, but I know better. This is the most difficult piece of the washington portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. Greg is constantly reminding me that there is more elevation change in a shorter distance for this portion than the rest of our planned Oregon-Canada trek. And let's not forget "the catwalk". It's impressive, sure, but I remember The Devil's Causeway of Colorado and smile. These are the things that move blood from my heart to the living tissues of my body. This is Who I Am.

Breathe.

Greg showed me the map of Section J (Snoqualmie Pass to Stephens Pass... or I-90 to Hwy 2 if you haven't lived) this morning as it hangs in his office. I felt like a child on Christmas morning. For the record, I don't like Christmas.... I kind of loathe and dread it, actually, but THIS was unmistakeable as that feeling - I should have been wearing onsie pjs and slept-in pig tails. I tried to focus as Greg was walking me through our trip, pointing out potential campsites and grazing areas, sites of concern, the infamous catwalk, a possible difficult water-crossing... all I could see were spectacular vistas, ripe huckleberries, breathtaking heights, awesome landscapes (in the literal meaning of the term "awesome", if anyone still knows what that is). The only thing strong enough to pry me away from that map, out of that room, was the promise of Lunettes internationally reknowned pancakes - a treat and an honor not to be missed!

After thoroughly enjoying my breakfast we made for the hills. Tuxedo has been with us just three short months, and has proven again and again that his true worth is in his steady nature, sound body, sure footedness, and in the size of his heart. What a horse. Not a ride goes by (and there have been so many) that he doesn't prove to me again that he IS a force of nature. Stength of a viking, serenity of a monk, heart of a saint. Oh, and I'm convinced he's at least 1/8th mountain goat. He brings to mind the NFL linemen that study ballet to aid their balance and agility. :)
"Steep bank, no problem; it's made of rock, I eat rock for lunch; it's as tall as me, bring it on; it's a 70 degree climb, I love a challenge!"
You'd have to see it to believe it, but this horse - without missing a beat - approaches, navigates, climbs - and he loves it, every last bit of it. Nevermind that Greg's saddle has shifted forward and all the weight is now squarely on TOP of his withers, nevermind that horses with more experience and in better perceived condition have gone to their knees on these same rocks, nevermind that we've ridden 12 miles of up/down/around to get here and there's still another 4 to go, he never fails us and always comes asking for more. In fact, he has taken to balking at the gate being led back IN to the pasture, and when we've released him after a 16 mile ride over the roughest terrain the island has to offer he hangs around looking for a hose squirt to the muzzle, a rub between his jowls, or - his personal favorite - a peppermint cookie.

Cheeseburger, of course, is a dream, but I expect that of her. Tuxedo has surprised me, and more than exceeded my expectations. We've come a long way, the 4 of us. Greg will share with you what he calls the "horse drama", which has been, for the record, nonexistence. Yes, he got dumped the first week I had Tuck, but he was doing something I had advised against - and he listens much better now (I am speaking of Greg here, Tuck has always listened).
And there were a handful of times when Tuck questioned Greg's leadership and tried to back up or turn around rather than take a particular trail.... this is not "horse drama" this is "horse training". And it's all come along splendidly. And really, the honest truth is that Greg has changed more than Tuck. He has become a more active and engaged rider, forming a partnership and filling a leadership position that Tuck needed to succeed. Don't tell him I told you, but he's becoming quite the rider. Rather than shower him with praise I will go along with his stories about the horse drama and how great it is that Tuck has learned so much... :)

I've got one more ride to squeeze in tonight. This horsey stuff is pretty spendy, so I've got to hire myself out at every opportunity. AND it keeps my fit so my beloved Cheesie doesn't have to lug me AND Lunettes internationally reknowned pancakes up the mountain. She appreciates, I'm sure, all my hard work ;)

3 comments:

  1. i love to read your writing@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuck is a great boy he has to be to carry my extra weight I gain in mo. even with a log chest high on him he didn't even stop to think about it. he just want jess's little two year old or is she three now. well any way he just wanted her to get out of his way. I had my doubts that he would make it over with me on him I thought he might get high center. but no I drop my reins on his neck and stood up in the saddle and held on. over we went with out a hitch such a good boy. I think he take good care of greg good luck to both of u I wish I was going maybe next trip hmmm u never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the best compliment I've received is that I keep getting asked to ride with you:-) It was great to see your excitement as you looked at the map and to read about your feelings here. I am honored to be sharing this adventure with you. We are going to have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete