Sunday, May 20, 2012

Over the hump....

This will be a quick post, as I am exhausted from a long.... week. I brought home Tuxedo today, the 12yo Norwegian Fjord / Quarter Horse gelding who marks the first purchase for the PCT ride. As he stands, with just a little conditioning he will be a perfect pack horse. He stands at or just over 15H and I estimate his weight to be around 1300lbs. I will get clearer measurements and post them soon. More important than his height, weight, or even his immense width is the size and quality of his joints and hooves. He has large, clean hocks and knees - and beautiful, big, solid black feet. He's an easy keeper who, despite his size, doesn't need to eat much.
At the very least he will easily carry all the feed and most of our gear without any trouble. In my heart, however, I am hoping that he will become a suitable mount for either Greg or myself. I think he is a super horse with a big heart who just needs time and miles to bring it out in him.
....... and he matches my mare! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment