Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) Section J - Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass - East

In preparation for the Washington State leg of the Pacific Crest Trail Greg Hertel and I are planning to ride Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass. We are loosely planning the last week in August / first week of September. This leg of the PCT should take us 4 days, and will be a great "trial run", as well as a spectacular experience, I am sure, on its own merits. I am beginning the hunt this morning for another horse, or two. Cheeseburger should be a shoo-in. I've read that the horses who are physically unsuitable will break down after the first 100 miles, so I intend to have her vetted after our 74 mile trek to see how she holds up. The concern is her knees, she's just a little flat, and all the elevation change (the downhill bits) could wreak havoc. As long as they hold up she will make a fine mount for Greg or myself. She is stout, fit, an easy keeper who doesn't need to eat much. She's got an efficient, ground-eating walk, and is willing and eager to get through all the obstacles of a trail.
My Thoroughbred filly is completely unsuitable, for a mount or a pack animal. She is too reactive and flighty to be of much use, though I'm sure a trip like this would be to her benefit - I'd rather not die finding out. :)
I need to find something in the next 4 to 6 weeks so we will have time to condition and train!

1 comment: